<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://slpmommyofapraxia.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
SLP Mommy of Apraxia: First week of pre-K

Monday, November 12, 2012

First week of pre-K

After my IEP experience, I was excited but also skeptical pending the first day of school.  Excited and hopeful she would finally get the speech and language enrichment she so desperately needs, and skeptical because it didn't seem like her teacher or SLP would be the ones able to do so.

I dropped off her private speech report to the teacher and SLP so they could at least see her progress documented by the private SLP. 

I was pleasantly surprised to see there were 4 kids and 3 adults in the room.  Talk about a great student/teacher ratio!  There was the teacher, the para, and then depending on the day either the O/T or the SLP.

Day 1: I received a weekly agenda, which is basically the teacher's lesson plans.  It's awesome because even though Ashlynn can't tell me what she did, I can look at the agenda and talk about her day with her. 

Ashlynn came home and we ate lunch.  While she was eating, she balled up part of her sandwich, hid it in her fist, and asked me playfully, "Wherdido?" When I repeated, "Where did it go?" She laughed, opened her fist and said, "right der!."  Now, "right there" she has been saying for a month or so, but this "where'd it go" was new!  She played it the whole day, obviously proud of herself. 

Day 2: I pick of Ashlynn up from school and the SLP tells me that she believes it would be best to pull Ashlynn out of the classroom and drill (duh), but I was nice and on my best behavior.  I smiled and said, "Great!  I'm glad to hear that!  I think she really needs that."

Day 3: Ashlynn brings home art projects everyday.  Today we got a tree with various fall leaves.

Day 4: Ashlynn brought home the cutest fall leaves wreath.  I immediately hung it up!  I love it.  Great for working on colors.  While eating lunch today, I asked her if she sang the song "Autumn leaves are falling down."  She kinda said 'ya' and so we sang it.  When she was done, she said "see" for sing.  I asked her what she wanted me to sing and she said "bee..bubu bee."  I clearly didn't understand and she started kinda singing the melody to the baby bumblebee song.  I asked her if she was singing "baby bumblebee" and started singing it.  She started doing all the cute little gestures that go with the song.  I emailed the teacher if they had sang this song today (I hadn't seen it in the agenda), and she responded in a timely fashion that they had been singing it all week!  How exciting!!  Ashlynn finally told me something that happened in her day!! 

My skepticism might be waning.  I hope so.  I just want the very best for Ashlynn, and this week seemed very productive :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home