<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://slpmommyofapraxia.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
SLP Mommy of Apraxia: "Say what you want to say, and let the words fall out. I want to see, I want to see you be brave."

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

"Say what you want to say, and let the words fall out. I want to see, I want to see you be brave."

I heard a new Sara Bareilles song the other day.  I love music, but I really felt like this song was written for Ashlynn.  It's been a struggle to get her words out.  Even now, the other day at the park she was talking to a little girl appropriately saying 'come on" and "let's go again!"  It sounded more like, "tum on!" and "yet do adain" but she was DOING it.  She was putting herself out there, and REALLY talking.

After a short time, the little girl asked her, "Are you a baby?"  Ashlynn, looking confused, just covered her eyes and laughed at her.  On the sidelines, my heart broke.  How DARE this child say that!!!  Didn't she know how much it took for Ashlynn to put herself out there and talk??!!

Of course the rational side of me realizes this girl is just a kid who didn't mean to be malicious or mean.  But the mommy in me wanted to teach her a lesson.  Instead, as usual, the person doing the teaching was Ashlynn.  As she laughed at this little girl, it was really Ashlynn who had the last laugh.  It was Ashlynn who is so wise despite her challenges.  Much wiser than me.  Shortly after I heard this new song.

"Say what you want to say, and let the words fall out.  Honestly, I want to see you be brave."

Ashlynn is braver in one hour than I ever have been in my entire life.  I love you Ashlynn, and I love seeing you be "BRAVE."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUQsqBqxoR4


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At August 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omg I'm in tears, I feel your pain but its so funny how our children teach us so much on a day to day. If we saw the world through those precious little eyes as they do it would be total bliss!

 
At August 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM , Blogger laura smith said...

:) Absolutely!!!

 
At August 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an SLP mama too. My seven year old daughter, Sophie, has severe CAS. She is brave--just like Ashlynn--even when my heart is breaking. I can so relate. Thanks for sharing!
Kim Erickson

 
At August 7, 2013 at 6:44 AM , Blogger laura smith said...

Thanks Kim :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home