<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://slpmommyofapraxia.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
SLP Mommy of Apraxia: The day I realized apraxia has been a blessing.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The day I realized apraxia has been a blessing.

Yes, you read the title correct.  I just called apraxia a blessing.  It took me a long time to get to this point.  I certainly didn't feel it was a blessing here 2.5 years, or here, New worries, or here IEP on the other side of the table, or here Background and suspicions.  I remember shouting "I HATE APRAXIA" "APRAXIA SUCKS!!" everytime I watched my daughter struggle.  Slowly but surely though, the blessings started to outweigh the diagnosis; in fact, blessings started to develop out of the diagnosis.

I was talking to a mom the other day from Georgia at Mommy Square, and she told me she has met a lot of friends because of apraxia.  It got me thinking that I have too.  I have a mom from Syracuse with whom I formed a connection because of our commonality of being mom's who were ALSO SLP's.  We shared our frustration at the lack of knowledge surrounding apraxia, and our mission to be educated on it.  I have a mom from Utah who has a daughter the same age as mine with apraxia.  We blog, collaborate, and fight apraxia together.  I met Sharon Gretz,  the founder of CASANA, the non-profit behind the apraxia-kids website.  Meeting her was a pivotal, inspirational moment in my life.

All these moms have one thing in common.  They all are incredible, inspirational women, and they all go through extraordinary lengths in the names of their child.

I am blessed to have found and to know each of them.  I am blessed to understand from an emphatic position what it is like to have a child with apraixa.

I am blessed that I was chosen to be her mommy, because through her I have learned the true meaning of perseverance and bravery by seeing them through the eyes of my daughter.

I am blessed because we have so many people in her corner.  Grandma's, Grandpa's, Uncles, Aunts, & cousins all cheering her on.

I am blessed because out of the struggle has come joys I could never have dreamed of or experienced myself.

I am blessed because though her dx could have brought distance between my husband and I, it only brought us closer toward the common goal of beating it.

I am blessed because my husband confided one day that when he starts to feel bad about the hand Ashlynn was dealt, he always sees her overcome it.

I am blessed because if not for her, I wouldn't have set a goal to specialize in apraxia, and in turn, I may not have met all the wonderful people I have met, or been able to treat all the wonderful children I am priveleged to treat.

I am blessed because I never take for granted one word, one sentence, or one song.

I am blessed because I know other parents who feel the same.

I am blessed because apraxia has taught me gratitude.

I am blessed from simply being her mother.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

Once again, you said it perfectly! I think it takes a while to see the blessings, but once we do, it's a really special thing!
I love that you pointed out you were blessed for her! I had never thought of it that way... you're the best! xo

 
At May 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM , Blogger laura smith said...

Indeed. It is definitely a process!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home