<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://slpmommyofapraxia.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
SLP Mommy of Apraxia: January book of the month: The Jacket I Wear in the Snow

Friday, January 17, 2014

January book of the month: The Jacket I Wear in the Snow

Winter is in full swing, and there is no shortage of books that talk about winter, snow, and winter clothing vocabulary. Also, the preschool in my district has winter clothing vocabulary on as part of the curriculum, so it's perfect!

The book is a repetitive, rebus style book that is great for practicing vocabulary, early reading skills, sequencing, and as always speech!





I started with some cutouts from the story I found here:
Winter clothes




Then I printed them out, laminated them, and put velcro on so that the kids could dress the boy.  I used a printout doll from the website you can find here: Paper dolls

This was the final result and it's just so darn cute! All my kids from preschool up to even 4th grade love dressing up the boy.  For my speech kids, I strategically pick a clothing item for a sound they are working on.  There are a lot of good options including 's' blend words that seem to be a constant therapy target for at least one group a year.  For a child with apraxia, there are some good basic CVC words you can use (i.e. cap, boot, sock,), or in my daughter's case since her speech is improving so much, I gave her most of the cards and she had to practice recall while I read the book.  The use of the cutouts provide a visual and tactile aid to help kids learn and recall the vocabulary, so you will see I try to make cutouts to go with books I have whenever I can get my hands on them.  Unfortunately, I'm not very talented in the drawing department, so I have to rely on other sources as you see I did here!

 For my older kids, we did silly things to practice following directions with spatial concepts: on top, under, over, etc to work on receptive language, and then they had to do a retell.  Again, the visuals really help in being able to sequence and retell the story for those kiddos who have weaknesses with language processing.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home